Allergies (e.g. hay fever) and colds can occur any time, anywhere to any person. In frigid countries like the U.S., allergies and colds usually are at the peak in spring season of the year. It is during this time that plant blooms and pollen grains from trees get into the bodily system resulting to itchy, stuffy, sneezy, runny noses and red-teary eyes, making it miserable for one to move and do things normally. In tropical countries, it is during December (colder days) and summer (very warm) times that colds and allergies commonly happen. Based on a certain survey conducted in the U.K., it has been estimated that adults suffer 2 to 5 colds per year compared to school children of 7 to 10 colds.
I can say I am one of the many people in the world who have dealt with and suffered from colds and allergic rhinitis. I can fully understand when someone say: “These recurring colds and allergies are killing me”. Oh yes, the feeling of irritation, not being able to breathe properly, tiredness, weakness , the burden and agony of postponing things you are enthusiastic about, are all in one when you are afflicted with colds. It is also heartbreaking and terrible to see a loved one suffering from colds especially the babies and kids. Thus, if you have this sort of a powerful body resistance which guards you from getting colds and related viruses, then you are one of the lucky beings!
However, there is always a remedy to any health problem. In my case, I was able to reduce the recurrence and severity of my colds and allergic rhinitis by changing some of my eating and lifestyle habits. In the past, the doctor would give me either antibiotics, antihistamines or topical nasal steroids to battle my rhinitis but it didn’t really solve the problem. It had some good and adverse effects on me. I took the medicines religiously but since I knew how it felt for me, I thought it would be best to adopt some paradigm shifts in dealing with the problem. And voila (vwa la, pronounced in French), for many years now I have not had encountered a severe cold and allergy attack!
Below are simple and natural yet comforting solutions to colds and allergy problems which have been proven and tested effective, at least in my case:
1. Drink as much as fluids as you can. I wasn’t a big water drinker in my younger years but due to my allergic rhinitis, I started to drink plenty of water everyday from waking up to sleeping time. Apart from its many benefits, water provided me the energy and stamina to go on with my daily regimen. I stopped buying and taking in carbonated soda drinks, except in occasional and social gatherings.
2. If you are not a tea lover, start sipping a cup of it and you will realize how soothing and refreshing it is! I began buying and drinking green tea after an old friend offered me one cup of it and it felt so reinvigorating! As you may know, green tea has plenty of nutrients and certain antioxidants and disease fighting attributes. Tea with lemon, lime or “calamansi” , honey and ginger is a plus.
3. If you feel like getting a cold, try taking Vitamin C after meals: 500 mg in the morning and another 500 in the evening. I have done this many times and it works!
4. If you have colds with sore throat, gargle a cup of lukewarm water with a pinch of salt. This will relieve the sore and pain in your throat.
5. Another tip conveyed by my sister is the application of vicks vaporub on the soles and bottoms of the feet with clean socks to cover them. This will give you a good night sleep and a wonderful morning with a reduced cold symptoms or no more symptoms at all!
6. Taste buds don’t function well and the urge to eat changes when you are sick. A cup of hot chicken soup or any soup with a sour taste should be part of the meal plan as it gives you the appetite to eat and it makes you sweat, thereby changing the body temperature particularly if you have slight fever. Vegetables and fruits would be of help.
7. Take a beauty rest (as in long hours of sleep, 8 to 10 hours) and have a good night sleep and sweet dreams!
8. Last but not least, don’t forget to pray to God for healing so the next day would be great, with a renewed healthy body, mind and soul!
It is always good to be healthy. Avoid the deadly MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) corona virus.